CD Reader Blues - RH8

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Wed Sep 15 09:05:04 UTC 2004

Hi all,
   I have a new problem with a CD reader.  This is on an IBM xSeries
232.  The CD has been replaced and passes all of the IBM built in tests
for linear and random reads plus the mechanical tests of door open/close
etc.
   I have made no modifications to the machine in the last two months.
Its' only purpose is to act as a Samba server.

When trying to mount a CD I receive the following error:

[root at rgeserv1 root]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
        or too many mounted file systems
        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

When I look at dmesg I get:
[root at rgeserv1 root]# dmesg | grep hda
     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x0840-0x0847, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
hda: LTN486S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

The fstab entry looks okay to my beginner eyes:
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   noauto,owner,kudzu  0 0

Where can I begin to look for the problem. I do not understand where the
line:
	ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)

comes from.

All help and direction appreciated.

Tnx,

Bob