[fedora] Groups

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Sep 16 01:52:55 UTC 2004

--On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 7:57 PM -0500 Jeff Vian
<jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> You can use that.  However, you should be aware that vi (and its
> companions) are available on ALL *nix variants and AFAIK no other editor
> has that distinction.

True. I was just wondering if there was some feature in emacs for editing
password files and doing the needed locking. I know there are plenty of
other special-purpose modes for doing things like DNS zone file editing and
version control management.

> Everyone is free to use what they want, but all *should* be familiar
> enough with vi to muddle through in those conditions where no other
> editor is available. (Boot from rescue CD or to single user mode are two
> examples.)

Fortunately I've never found myself in that situation. Either another
machine is around that lets me look at an online vi reference, or the
rescue media has emacs or a dumbed-down clone with the same basic command
set. Now that CD's are the rescue media of choice, there's plenty of space
for a "big" editor.