update hang-up

Patrick McSwiggen Pat.McSwiggen at uc.edu
Thu Sep 16 02:35:22 UTC 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Yes, you are right. But both up2date in GUI mode as well with --nox did
> not hang in a form where I would have said it is stalled. It took a bit
> longer than normally to resolve dependencies and then it came up with a
> pop-up / message that dependencies failed.

I ran into the problem of it stalling more than once in the last month
and the problem is that one of the mirrors is/was offline. I don't
remember which one, but it was whichever was closest to me. Is there
one at Purdue? I'm new to Fedora/RH and at least with FC2 up2date is
setup out-of-the box to (randomly?) select a mirror from a rather short
list. If it happens to pick the mirror that's out it does not come back
and say the server is unavailable--it just hangs and never comes back.
It took me a long time to figure out that by quitting and restarting
up2date I could get it to pick again and hopefully try another server.
Since the redirection to the mirror appears to be happening at
redhat.com (so it's all "under the hood", as it were), it wasn't easy
to even figure out where the selection of the mirror was coming from.

Patrick D. McSwiggen                            pat.mcswiggen at uc.edu
Mathematical Sciences                            513-556-4080
University of Cincinnati                         513-556-3417 FAX