Alert!!

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Thu Sep 16 02:58:53 UTC 2004

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Right. The iptables limit module is good for throttling iptables
> logging, but what we need is something to block application (Apache,
> sendmail) logging by dynamically firewalling misbehaved clients (eg.
> zombies).
Yes!  That is more generically the functionality I am looking for.
Perhaps this could easily be done in a few perl ( one of the few
languages I have experience with:() scripts.

#naive programing below

#insert deny rule
;pipe log file to $_
if( /some daemon/ ) {
	if( /some alert/ ) {
		/SIP filter string/;
		$sip = $&;
		echo >> "deny all from $sip rule " etc/iptables-config-file;
		echo >> "timestamp for $sip rule" someotherlogfile;
		system("service iptables restart");
	}
}

#expire deny rule