Installation Issue

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 16 06:32:28 UTC 2004

Megahertz wrote:

> Sorry about my previous post, I was kinda pissed that
> my PC kept rebooting.

That's fine, but remember we're here to help.

> I am trying to install Fedora Core 2, I have tested
> all the Cd's to make sure they have passed. And they
> did. I am running, 366MHz Intel Celeron processor, 4MB
> ATI Rage IIC, 64MB SDRAM, 20gig hard drive space and
> yes I'm trying to get the distro just to install and
> then install a lightweight windows manager (eg.
> fluxbox).
>
> This is the problem. I partition like this.
> / = fill max.
> /boot = 100MB
> <swap> = 190MB
>
> And btw fill max. means, Fill to maximum allowable
> size, I thought that was pretty clear but OK.

It would have been, but from as far as I can see, you did not specify
your hard disk size in your first post. Hence we knew nothing of the sort...

> Everything starts to install just fine. But when I put
> in CD 2, and about 3 minutes into the install, it
> reboots my computer. I checked to see if anybody else
> had this problem and it only happends to people with a
> ASUS P4P800 motherboard, or a VIA C3 processor, two of
> which I do not have. And as I stated in my original
> post, I have already successfully installed Red Hat 9
> with no problems. I hope thats enough detail, I can't
> really think about anything else to add. Except that I
> have tried to install three times, thought it might be
> an over heating thing, its not. Right now I got out my
> old win98 CD and had to install it (BLEH!) and now I'm
> running win98, though I installed fedora core 2, just
> the minimum. Worked fine because it only used CD 1.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really
> love to get off this win98 OS!!!!

OK, a few suggestions:

1> Oh so definitely a text install. Don't even try graphical on this
hardware.

2> You might try the 'cdnodma' option, in case it's a DMA problem with
the CD-ROM.

3> Have quick scout for the RULE project. I'm not sure whether they've
built an install for FC2 yet, but your memory is way below recommended
and they may have a better way of getting it installed.

4> There's always put the hard drive in a newer, bigger PC, install,
then return to the original PC.

Regards,
Ed.