MSI Mega 180 (Barebones) and FC2

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 16 15:31:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:01, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Rush wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone. I know you all are busy, so I'll try to keep this short.
> >
> > I'm considering installing FC2 (replacing XP) on an MSI Mega 180 barebones
> > system (Shuttle-style PC). My primary concern is how well (if at all)of my
> > wireless adapter (onboard 802.11b). I've searched the Fedora and Redhat HW
> > compat lists, MSI's site, and Google and Usenet, and found nothing regarding
> > this system and Fedora. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be
> > eternally grateful. Here is a link to the Mega 180's description on MSI's
> > site:
> >
> > http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_180&class=mega
>
> You could try booting it into some kind of linux - say with FC2 CD-1
> into 'rescue' mode - and use '/sbin/lspci' to figureout what 'wireless
> chipset' you have.
>
> Satish

Good idea,  Knoppix is also an alternative.  From:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/slim_pc/slm/pro_slm_detail.php?UID=546

It looks like the WLAN card is some kind of mini-PCI card and will
probably vary depending on price and availability and who/where the
integration was done.  Opening the box and checking the part number of
the chip on the WLAN card is also an option.

Bob...