Linux text editors

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Sep 16 19:33:32 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-15 19:39, Kenneth Porter whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> --On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 9:16 AM -0600 Guy Fraser
> <guy at incentre.net> wrote:
>
>> Emacs can do a lot of things and do them well, but it operates very
>> differently that the editors you noted, and would require a steep
>> learning
>> curve.
>

> I learned it a million years ago using the built-in tutorial. Seemed
> pretty straightforward. The basic commands were pretty intuitive.
> Control with F, B, N, P goes Forward character, Backward character,
> Next line, Previous line. More advanced commands could be learned
> using the apropos feature. (What commands operate on windows?
> "Esc-x-apropos window".)
>
> I learned it back before the introduction of the luxurious VT100
> terminal, when keyboards were much more limited. No arrow keys, and
> maybe one or two function keys. Maybe no numeric keypad. No meta/alt
> keys, and only one Control key on the left. F1 was not yet the
> universal help key.

My experience was at the opposite end.  I first learned emacs on a Lisp
Machine, using the so-called space-cadet keyboard.
(ctrl-meta-hyper-super-cokebottle!).  But it didn't have a single Help
key....

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org