compress, uncompress no sim link to gunzip?

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Thu Sep 16 21:12:12 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: compress, uncompress no sim link to gunzip?

> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 14:19, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > > See compress.1 and uncompress.1 in above package listing. What other
> > > man pages have you found earlier and where?
> > >

> > Most likely compress.1p and uncompress.1p for POSIX, as included
> > within the man-pages package (/usr/share/man/man1p).
>
> In a clean install of FC2 there are man pages for compress in
> /usr/share/man/man1p.  But no executables for those commands.  I just
> found that strange.
>
> I would have thought the man pages would be packaged with the
> executables.
>
> Besides gunzip did the job in place of uncompress so I thought that
> maybe a sim link had been missed.
>

> --
> Scot L. Harris

I'm working on a clean install of FC2 and I just looked at my system. I have
compress and uncompress man pages and executables. uncompress is symlinked
to compress. gzip and gunzip are their own separate executables.

I did a fresh install from ISOs and installed everything then updated the whole
thing.

Mike