Spamc is slowwww

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 16 21:28:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 01:08, joe wrote:

> real    0m20.127s
> user    0m0.002s
> sys     0m0.004s
> [root at luke spamassassin]# ps -fade | grep spam
> root      2136     1  0 Sep08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c
> -a -m5 -H
> ------------------------------------
>
> Notice that the wall clock time is 40 and 20 seconds respectively for
> spam and non-spam.
>
> Don't these seem like long times?
> Is this how long each e-mail is going to take to be scanned by
> spamassassin?

You probably need to disable some or all of the network tests.  I have
seen many comments that most of those checks do not increase the spam
detection rate very much if at all.  You probably want to run surbl
tests if you are running the 3.0 version.  This does hit the network but
the reports are that it is very fast.

I have found that using a few of the SARE rule sets and a good bayes
database catches 99.9+% of the spam.  You don't want to run the bigevil
SARE rules anymore, they will eat lots of memory and possibly take more
time.  surbl has effectively replaced the bigevil rule set anyway.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Push where it gives and scratch where it itches.