Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Sep 17 00:20:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 03:45, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > Ah -- I hadn't though of rsync. I've never used it before. Will anything
> > in particular have to be running on the Mac (assuming I'm running the
> > rsync command on the FC2 box)?
>
> Ok - the requirements.
>
> FC2: sshd, rsync [open firewall for sshd]
> Mac: ssh, rsync
>
> All commands issued on Mac:
>
>  - copy files from FC2 to Mac
> rsync -avz -e ssh user at fc2host:~/folder ~/
>
>  - copy any changed files from Mac back to FC2
> rsync -avz -e ssh ~/folder user at fc2host:~/
>
> If you have sshd running on the Mac - you can flip and run the
> commands on the FC2 box.

Satish, this was really really helpful. Thank you very much for that. I
think my strategy will be to first try starting samba on the Mac and
seeing if I can painlessly use that. If that doesn't look like it's
going to work quickly and painlessly (time will be of the essence) then
I'm going to use rsync as you've outlined above. Thank you again.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com