nvidia-graphics rpms (was: nvidia driver problem!)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Sep 17 02:06:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:36:25PM -0700, ed hayes wrote:
> I'm hoping someone has already solved this problem.
>
> 1) I've loaded Fedora core 2 (2.6.8-1.521) on my P4 PowerSpec PC, with a ViewSonic flat monitor & a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 driver
> 2) I get a blank screen when trying to run X - I can only boot to runlevel 3
>
> Doesn't anyone know of an rpm that I can download to fix this ?

If you have ATrpms in your repo configs you can simply use

apt-get install kernel-module-nvidia-graphics6111-`uname -r`
apt-get install nvidia-graphics6111

(replace apt-get with yum for yum instructions)

You will get a modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia, which you need to
move to /etc/X11/xorg.conf after inspection (safety precaution for
non-nvidia users who install all of ATrpms).

Note that if 6111 is not adequate for you (different nvidia releases
have different strengths/wekanesses), you can install multiple
different drivers form ATrpms simultaneously and switch from one to
another with the nvidia-graphics-switch utility (outside of X).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net