FC2 + newest openoffice = slower

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 17 02:25:06 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>>You CAN get 7200RPM 8Mb cache ones now but I've never seen a notebook
>>come with one as they are more expensive.
>
> You can get one for VERY much more expensive though..
>
> I'm running on an Hitachi/IBM 5400rpm 80GB 8MB Cache and I get
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   1284 MB in  2.00 seconds = 641.46 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  106 MB in  3.05 seconds =  34.78 MB/sec

That's actually very good for a notebook (or do you mean desktop?).

For a server I'm running a 192Mb HP Vectra 600MHz with Seagate 20Gb HDD
(Yes, its a little on the low side but it was free!).

  /dev/hda:
   Timing buffer-cache reads:   Roughly 263MB/sec on 3 tries.
   Timing buffered disk reads:  Roughly 26MB/sec on 3 tries.

Openoffice Calc loads in about 15 seconds.

I share your pain, but I don't use it very often so I tolerate it.

I'm not (yet) running FC on my 3.2GHz D865PERL based PC with 1Gb Dual
and 2 x WD2500JD in striped raid (500GB), but it would be an interesting
test! It flies with XP.

Regards,
Ed.