Alert!! -- PortKnocking

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 17 08:45:08 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 17.09.2004 schrieb Nifty Hat Mitch um 7:07:

> > moment this is enough to stop the scripts. When they begin to really
> > scan for the ports with SSH behind I will activate portknocking. Not
> > because I have insecure passwords in use or do not keep both eyes on
> > necessary security updates, but because I do not like to have to go each
> > day to hundreds of log file lines caused by wannabee intruders.
>
> This sounds like a valid use of port knocking.
> In and of itself port knocking should be understood.

Especially if you decide to protect SSH by it on a remote server! Easy
to imagine how fast you exclude yourself from a remote host if doing it
wrong ;)

> This is an interesting  critique of it.
>    http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/08/02/1954253.shtml

Thanks for the link. I already did read some papers, but that one is
new.

> 	T o m  M i t c h e l l

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 10:42:20 up 18 days, 7:59, load average: 0.69, 0.38, 0.38