source rpms

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 17 17:52:22 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 17.09.2004 schrieb Badli Al Rashid um 19:37:

> :O i didnt know that option exists (should have rpmbuild --help), my first
> time rebuilding the rpms anyway ;) mm.
>
> i need to enable the winbind and other cflags options in samba.spec file
> as well.thanks im doing "rpmbuild -ba samba.spec --target=i686" testing it
> seems to be working

And you should have build your custom rpmbuild environment with an
unprivileged user account. As long as you just plainly rebuild Fedora
Core SRPMs you should get not big problems running rpmbuild as root, but
imagine you change a spec file which causes an remove of system files.
Running rpmbuild as normal user would just die or at least complain and
tell you about inproper permissions. See i.e.

http://freshrpms.net/docs/fight/

which is as far as I remember to linked from the max rpms page. The
normal user rpm-build environment too enables you to change compiler
settings without the chance to break the main rpm-build files like rpmrc
under /usr/lib/rpm/.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:45:41 up 18 days, 17:02, load average: 0.59, 0.28, 0.23