yum question

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Fri Sep 17 20:50:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 23:29, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> The default yum.conf that fedora comes with has several entries:
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$bas
> earch/os/
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$release
> ver/$basearch/
>
> [fedora-stable-9]
> name=Fedora Project Stable RPMS for RHL 9
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/yum/stable/
>

> Is it ok to put more repositories in yum.conf?

Yes.

> Can you also add testing
> and unstable entries along with them.  Will they ever conflict with each
> other in any way?  I see several repositories at

You can. There are conflicts possible between different repositories,
since many repositories provide same software, but sometimes package it
in different ways. Conflicts between stable and unstable packages from
the same repository are infrequent.

> http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/repos/.  Are there more?  How do you
> get a list of what's on each repository besides adding it to yum and
> running "yum list"?
>
> Can you use other repositories besides those that start with "fedora"?
If you use repositories created for different distributions, you will
probably have unresolvable conflicts.

Pavel.