SM56

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Sep 17 21:54:22 UTC 2004

Greetings Victor ,

Victor M. Reyes wrote:
> Hi, I have SM56 and Fedora Core 2... can you help me to install it.
>
> thanks.
>
> Victor Reyes

On a console give the command

#lspci -vv  ,

That would list all the PCI devices that you have and the Motorola SM56 ,
which is an PCI Internal Modem ,
Find the line with the string Comunications Controller , mine for example
looks like

  00:0b.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
(rev 02)
         Subsystem: Digitan Systems Inc: Unknown device 9300

The string next to Communication Controller is the Chipset ( here Lucent
Microelectronics )
Then as Edward suggested go to www.linmodems.org and look for the
appropriate driver ,
either by model ( Motorola SM56 ) or by Chipset  ( i think you have a
Connexant  chipset ,
but i don't recall well ) . There is a chance that you will find the
driver you need.

Kind Regards,
    Kostas