Need DNS help

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Fri Sep 17 23:49:37 UTC 2004

I'm trying to learn how to use DNS in my home network here.  I've read
over several tutorials on DNS and I understand the basic theory, but I'm
having problems with actually setting up the server.  All the tutorials
I looked at worked directly with text files and it confused me, so I
decided to try using redhat-config-bind (I use Fedora Core 1).  I leased
another domain name (espersonline.com) and listed ns1.espersonline.com
as the nameserver for the domain name.  I asked the registrar I leased
espersonline.com from to register ns1.espersonline.com with the root
namespace and gave it my external IP (68.15.193.18) as the IP address of
the nameserver.  They've gotten my nameserver registered, but I'm having
trouble setting it up.  Many of the DNS tutorials I looked at
recommended using 'dig' to test the nameserver configuration.  Below is
the output for espersonline.com

[michael at baby michael]$ dig espersonline.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>> espersonline.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;espersonline.com.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
espersonline.com.       1376    IN      A       63.96.137.4

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
espersonline.com.       1376    IN      NS      ns2.e-names.org.
espersonline.com.       1376    IN      NS      ns1.e-names.org.

;; Query time: 25 msec
;; SERVER: 68.12.16.30#53(68.12.16.30)
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 17 18:40:21 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 97

I interpret "status:  NOERROR" to mean that dig found espersonline
right.  I tried to set up one computer on my network, which is named
bullet.  This is what the main window in redhat-config-bind says under
ns1.espersonline.com:

bullet --> 192.168.1.2
bullet aliased to bullet.ns1.espersonline.com
bullet served by bullet

bullet is the computer that the DNS server is installed on.  When I try
to dig bullet.espersonline.com I get this:

[michael at baby michael]$ dig bullet.espersonline.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>> bullet.espersonline.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bullet.espersonline.com.       IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
espersonline.com.       873     IN      SOA     ns2.enameco.com.
dns-admin.enameco.com. 1 3600 600 86400 3600

;; Query time: 27 msec
;; SERVER: 68.12.16.30#53(68.12.16.30)
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 17 18:48:27 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

Status is always either NXDOMAIN or SERVFAIL.  What am I doing wrong and
how do I fix it?  Please help!