Motherboard for Fedora server

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Sep 17 23:56:38 UTC 2004

Andrew W. Donoho wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2004, at 17:12, James Wilkinson wrote:
>
>     Andrew W. Donoho wrote:
>
>         I did have a few problems. NVidia support
>         for the 2.6 kernel was not quite all there when I started. Then
>         NVidia
>         released new drivers that worked on the 2.6.5 FC2 kernel.
>         Upgrading to
>         the 2.6.8 FC2 kernel broke the nvnet drivers. To let things settle
>         down, I have temporarily installed a Tulip derived 100baseTX card.
>

>     Have you tried the forcedeth driver that comes with the kernel?
>

> Yes, I have tried it. I expect that nvnet and forcedeth are "fighting"
> each other. nvnet must have removed something that forcedeth needed. For
> the time being, the tulip card is working fine. I expect that this will
> get sorted out sometime in the FC3 test phase. I'm not in a hurry and
> am, in general, quite happy with the machine.

No, the NVidia ethernet driver is closed source, and is compiled for a
particular kernel.  When you upgrade kernels, you have to rebuild the
closed driver for the new kernel (doesn't matter if its the ethernet,
sound, or video driver, they all work the same way).  That's why I'm
using the forcedeth ethernet driver, the module is rebuilt and
distributed with the Fedora kernels.  *BUT* I am still using the nvidia
video driver (for the 3D support), and I must rebuild it everytime I
upgrade the kernel.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com