Need DNS help

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Sep 18 01:08:58 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 18.09.2004 schrieb Michael Sullivan um 2:46:

> Here's the espersonline.zone file:
>
> [root at bullet named]# cat espersonline.com.zone
> $TTL 86400
> ns1.espersonline.com.   IN      SOA     localhost       root    (

@               IN SOA  ns1.espersonline.com.
hostmaster.espersonline.com. (

>                                 29 ; serial

The serial should have a format: YYYYMMDDXX where XX is a 2 digits
number, increased each time the zone file is changed.

>                                 28800 ; refresh
>                                 14400 ; retry
>                                 3600000 ; expire
>                                 86400 ; ttl
>                                 )
>
> bullet  IN      NS      bullet
>
> bullet          IN      A       192.168.1.2
>
> bullet.ns1.espersonline.com.            IN CNAME        bullet

What shall that be? For what this ugly CNAME? This whole setup can't
work.

                IN NS   ns1.espersonline.com.
                IN NS   ns.secondaryNS-server.tld.
espersonline.com.        IN A    official-IP-of-DNS

> I looked in /etc/named.conf, but there was no mention of
> espersonline.zone anywhere.  Do I need to add it manually?  Also the
> location of the espersonline.zone file was a little weird.  It was in
> /var/named/chroot/var/named.  Is this normal?

Yes, you have the chrooted bind installed with chroot /var/named/chroot.
So the relevant named.conf is /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf. Please
read the docs. It was too explained in detail here on the list some
month ago.

Did you read the bind documentation? DNS is a fundamental service and
you should not play around with it.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:59:58 up 19 days, 16 users, load average: 1.53, 0.79,
0.40