source rpms

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 18 02:29:32 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, September 18, 2004 12:46 AM +0800 Badli Al Rashid
<badli at cfking.com> wrote:

> the reason i wanted
> to recompile was to optimize the samba for my dual xeon procs :) and this
> was my first try at recompiling using source RPM's.
>
> ps! if someone suggest that im better off using gentoo distribution, sorry
> i dont have all day to recompile the whole os from scratch for my specific
> proc arch, i just need some of the packages to be optimize only:)

An admirable objective. Optimize only what you must. All else just leaves
you open to optimizer bugs, because that part of the compiler is pretty
complex (not just for gcc, but for any compiler).

I'd recommend joining the RPM mailing list, where packagers hang out and
help each other use the RPM tools.