Linux text editors

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 18 02:35:47 UTC 2004

--On Friday, September 17, 2004 11:42 AM -0600 Guy Fraser
<guy at incentre.net> wrote:

> At one time EMACS was a great asset for me to use, but I prefer to think
> I have evolved along with the available software, and have for the most
> part moved on to newer software. Not to say that there is anything wrong
> with using EMACS, I would just rather use a mouse to manipulate text than
> constantly hamering on the keybord. I am not very fast at typing so I
> prefer a less keyboard intensive editor.

It's been said that Emacs is an environment, not a text editor. I suppose
it serves the same purpose in text-only environments that a window manager
does on a modern X display. In that respect it's evolved to accomodate many
functions.

As to the mouse, I'm exactly the opposite. I'm a touch typist. If I have to
reach for the mouse to do something, it breaks my train of thought as I
switch from one input device to the other and reacquire the home location.
If I'm manipulating text, I want to do as much as possible with one device
only.