Japanese Support on Fedora Core 2

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Sat Sep 18 04:31:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:35, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> > About a month ago, I installed FC2 over my RedHat 9 installation, and
> > discovered that both Mozilla and Firefox crashed right away when viewing
> > one of my favorite sites (http://www.megatokyo.com ) I didn't figure out
> > what was causing this crash until now: the Japanese character support.
> >
> > While I was attempting to get a machine translation of something from
> > English to Japanese via various web sites, I noticed that Mozilla 1.7.2
> > and Firefox 0.9 were continuing to crash and only when I visited a site
> > that had Japanese characters. As a test, I requested
> > http://www.nec.co.jp and watched Mozilla crash immediately. Is there a
> > problem with the support for the language in FC2 or when migrating from
> > RH9?
>
> Hi Raymond,
>
> My FC1 (I'll try FC2 when I get home from work) Moz 1.7.2 was able to
> hit both of the sites above without a problem. Can you run:
>
> strace mozilla http://www.megatokyo.com
>
> in a terminal to see if there is any data that might help troubleshoot?
>
> I don't have Firefox on this particular machine to try it out with that
> browser here, but will let you know later from my FC2 box (I've got both
> Moz and Firefox on the home machine).
>
> Clint

Hi Clint,
strace provided this information at the tail end of things when Mozilla
crashes:

> gettimeofday({1095481207, 512557}, NULL) = 0
> gettimeofday({1095481207, 513126}, NULL) = 0
> brk(0)                                  = 0x9977000
> brk(0x9998000)                          = 0x9998000
> open("/usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-mincho.ttf", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-mincho.ttf", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> unlink("/home/rrodgers/.mozilla/default/evww3rsw.slt/lock") = 0
> rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
> rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [SEGV], NULL, 8) = 0
> tgkill(3020, 3020, SIGSEGV)             = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

I then did a find to see if I could locate the kochi files (forgive some of the lameness here):

> [rrodgers at wolverine rrodgers]$ find /usr/share/fonts/ja/ |grep kochi
> /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-gothic-subst.ttf
> /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-gothic-subst.tti
> /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-mincho-subst.ttf
> /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-mincho-subst.tti

So it looks like the files it wants simply do not exist... Considering
that mozilla worked normally on those pages prior to installing FC2, I
suspect that something in the update process removed them... Making a
symlink from the new file name to the old seems to have fixed the
problem... I hope there aren't more similar surprises waiting for me...

By the way, is there an equivillent of the redhat-mouse-config program
in FC2? I used that as a hack of sorts to allow me to reinitialize my
mouse after switching to a different computer on my kvm switch. I
haven't been able to find anything similar though.

Thanks again!
Raymond

--
Raymond C. Rodgers <rh at bbnk.dhs.org>