Alert!! -- PortKnocking

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Sep 18 16:21:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 11:35, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > This is an interesting  critique of it.
> >    http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/08/02/1954253.shtml
>
> If not mistaken that's the exact article I was reading(I can't verify as
> I'm now on a Plane). However, to me, (and most others) that's a very
> valid use of port knocking.
>
> Yeah.. you can do ethereal/tcpdump traces but that's a whole lot of work
> to do. It's not like you're beraking into Fort Knox right?
>
> To me, it's not that they can't get in, even if they can, I rather just
> make sure that they don't have it easy,

That's the point of implementing any kind of security, it keeps the
honest people honest and makes the bad guys job just a little more
difficult.  Kind of like using locks on the doors of your house.  If
someone really wants to get in they will.  But the locks keep the casual
passerby from walking in an open door after rattling the door knob.

The real trick is making it difficult enough to discourage the a
majority of people while still making is usable by the intended users.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Money is the root of all wealth.