Disk problem

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 18 17:26:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 04:53:05PM +0200, eric tanguy wrote:

> I found these lines in dmesg but i don't know what it is and how to solve
> this  :
>
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x50
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 787072
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x50
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0

Commonly hdc is a CDROM.
If so then these log messages can be common and a don't care.

In many cases the CDROM is being automounted or otherwise inspected.
Perhaps it is to be mounted as an audio, udf, iso9660, vfat, or some
other file system.  Since a CDROM does not have a partition table the
size can be discovered by attempting to read to the end and beyond.
The last seek and read will error out and now the size will be
known. i.e. sector 787071 was OK and 787072 is not thus the size is
787071.

If there is no media in the drive at boot time messages like these
will go away.  Perhaps there is also an etc/fstab line to tidy up.

At dmesg time there there is some potential that errors like these are
important.  Since things are being setup it is unclear what is a
problem or not so it is being reported.

Often removing the media will make these go away.

If these are associated with a specific action like automounting a CD
that you want automounted, ignore them.

Remember that hdc does not need to be a cdrom....
and at dmesg time the system does not yet know.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	In the USA, vote informed, second Tuesday Nov 2004.