Gnome panel and desktop icons mysteriously changed: SOLVED but now is a vnc problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 19 06:42:53 UTC 2004

CB wrote:

>> All the icons on the desktop and panel of my main login user have
>> changed (other users desktops are still OK). For example, the panel
>> menu icon is now the gnome footprint rather than the redhat logo, and
>> directories on the desktop now use a generic text file icon rather
>> than the original folder.
>>
>> Any ideas on how this might have happened, and how to restore things?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> CB.
>>

> It turns out that when I stop the vncserver service, this problem goes
> away. I assume that the vnc server is locking something essention in (in
> one of the .gnome* directories?). Have I misconfigured vnc in some way,
> or is this always going to happen?

It's interesting that the vncserver would cause this sort of problem.
The only guess I would have is that the file that is open from the
vncserver is not available for use with your local machine.since it is
currently being used by the vncserver.

Have you tried the opposite way, start the local GUI, then launch a vnc
session?

No help, just intrigued by the effects of the problem.

Jim

--
Ha.  For once you're both wrong but not where you are thinking.

	- Larry McVoy to Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel