Help Required

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Sep 19 10:57:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:37:12 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > > I am new to Linux World. I have installed Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
> > > -sh-2.05b$ vi
> > > -sh: /usr/local/bin/vim: cannot execute binary file
> >
> Why is he using system files in the /usr/local tree?

Adding to my theories posted earlier, maybe during installation he chose
not to format existing partitions?

> > Sounds like something has gone mad on your system.
> >
> > > I checked the file permission. It's ok. ( read and executeto everyone.)
> > > -sh-2.05b$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/vim
> > > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root bin 409600 Jun 16  1997 /usr/local/bin/vim
> > >
> > > But I use the vim from /usr/bin then I don't getany error.
> >
> > It sounds like when you've done a source code install, something has
> > broken on the non-rpm version. Try removing the source code version, run
> > vi, if it works then you've a broken source version install.
> >
> That would not necessarily be a broken install.  Simply an improperly
> installed package and one where the source install broke the default
> install.
>
> Most packages I install from source default to /usr/local and if you
> want to put it in the system default location you have to specify the
> prefix when you run configure that package prior to compiling
> /installing.

I doubt that a source code install would create files with date 1997
unless he extracted an old tarball of prebuilt software.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.77 1.24 0.70