automount seems not to work

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Sun Sep 19 15:09:29 UTC 2004

If it is on FC2 the problem is with autofs (broken!!!).

There is a new autofs rpm made available by somebody from redhat, I sent
the URL 10 days ago, look into the archives, or look into bugzilla for
bugs in autofs and you'll find the bug (not by me) and the solution
with the hint where to get the corrected rpm.

I do not understand once more why there is not an official update for this
nasty bug (it seems that all ext3 partitions cannot be mounted with autofs
as included in FC2).

                       Alfredo

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, CB wrote:

> I'm trying to automount a USB/firewire drive.
>
> My /etc/auto.master contains:
> 	/test   /etc/auto.test
>
> And my /etc/auto.test contains:
> 	test1         -fstype=ext3    :/dev/sda1
>
>> From my HOWTO reading, I assume automount should now create /test/test1,
> within which should be the contents of /dev/sda1. But when I plug in the
> HD, although ls / does show the /test directory, /test itself is empty.
>
> Running /sbin/service autofs status gives me:
>
> Configured Mount Points:
> ------------------------
> /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /test file /etc/auto.test
>
> Active Mount Points:
> --------------------
> /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /test file /etc/auto.test
>

> I can mount /dev/sda1 manually (using mount -t ext3 etc) with no
> problems, but the automount doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |