Email Server

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 15:37:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 08:08, Seb E. Payne wrote:
> Thanks Juan. I will look into it. However, I have been reading through
> the PHP Groupware website and the Installation HOWTO mentions SQL
> database. Which is better (for us!), MySQL or PostgreSQL?
>
> I am on the look out for a Dovecot IMAP HOWTO. Any ideas?

One thing you need to check on when choosing between mysql and postresql
is the licensing.  postgresql is freely usable.  mysql had changed their
licensing a while back such that any commercial use of it required a
license fee.  Not sure if that is still the case but it was earlier this
year.

Both will most likely do the job.  You should really use which ever you
are most comfortable with or use in other projects.  I have used both
but currently use postgresql for my projects.

As to your original question, any of the MTAs listed will do the job.
Just do the homework and make sure you do not create an open relay.

Others have mentioned most of the items you want to use including
spamassassin.  Another item you will want to add to your setup once you
have the basics working is greylisting.  greylisting will keep your
system from having to process thousands of spam messages since most
spammers will not resend messages.

The combination of greylisting and spamassassin has reduced spam to
virtually zero where we used to get anywhere from 3000 to 6000 spam
messages a day.  And there were some days where the shear volume of
messages was causing the email server load average to spike to over 20
at times as spamassassin tried to handle the load.

With greylisting in place this has not happened, I have not seen the
load average on the email server go over 2 since that has been
implemented.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Operators killed when huge stack of backup tapes fell over.