[Follow-Up] Re: Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Sep 19 19:18:14 UTC 2004

I'd just like to say a big "thanks" for all the very helpful
suggestions. The brainstorming session went very well, and we were able
to set up simple filesharing very easily.

On both machines we ensured that sshd was running and that the firewalls
were configured to allow ssh access. Connecting to the Mac from the FC2
machine was simplicity itself: in Nautilus I just did File -> Connect to
Server ... and then entered "sftp://user@192.168.0.4" as the location
and then entered the password and everything was fine.

Connecting to the FC2 machine from the Mac was slightly more convoluted.
Although I could ssh into the FC2 machine from a terminal on the Mac,
and could also access the web server on the FC2 machine from a web
browser on the Mac, I could NOT figure out how to use the Finder to
browse the FC2 machine's filesystem. I came to the conclusion that the
finder does not support sftp, although that was a guess as the error
message every time I tried was totally unhelpful. However, a quick
google turned up a graphical Mac OS X sftp client (I'm sorry, I can't
remember its name) and after downloading that everything was fine.

So, thanks again. Hopefully this information will be of help one day to
someone other than me.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com