fedora crashed, please help step by step

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Sun Sep 19 19:28:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 21:28, ipsystem wrote:
> For more command in shell I receive a error
> [root at host1 root]# ls
> Segmentation fault
> [root at host1 root]#
>
> Nothing works.
>
> I think, that libraries glibc have failed.
> But I cannot reinstall them because rpm too does not work.
> [root at host1 root]# rpm
> Segmentation fault
> [root at host1 root]#
>

> Now I have loaded binary file from here ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.1.x/rpm-4.1.i386.tar.gz
> Now rpm that error, but now other error.
>

> [root at host1 /]# rpm -qa
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmq: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> [root at host1 /]# locate libelf.so.0
> [root at host1 /]# rpm --verify --all
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmv: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> [root at host1 /]# rpm --rebuilddb
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmd: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>

> [root at host1 l]# wget ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libelf-0.8.2-2.i386.rpm
> [root at host1 l]# rpm -ivh libelf-0.8.2-2.i386.rpm
> rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: unsupported hash version: 8
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> warning: libelf-0.8.2-2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
> rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: unsupported hash version: 8
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> [root at host1 l]#
>

> Please help me.
> How to repair glibc and may be other crashed library from linux
> distribution?
>
> How to step by step.
>

> Please help, I really do not know, that to me to do.

If cpio works on the target system and you have a spare system, you can
grab needed packages (make sure you get packages for your version of
fedora), use rpm2cpio on a working system to get a cpio archive. Copy
that archive to a damaged system and extract the files. I personally
wouldn't do this, but in your situation things won't get any worse.

Pavel.