ps/2 mouse trouble

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 02:30:14 UTC 2004

Ketil Hage wrote:
>>You sure the mouse works?
>>Batteries dead?
>>You may need to do install with regular mouse and attach wireless
>>afterwards, I kind of remember doing this myself.
>>
>>I use cordless logitech keyboard and mouse, only caveat is
>>it doesn't start working till X starts, but I keep a junker keyboard
>>connected as well.
>>
>>>From my xorg.conf, xorg replaced xfree in FC2.
>>
>>Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>        Driver      "mouse"
>>        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>>EndSection
>>

>>Ted
>>

> i have the exactly same settings in my xorg.conf.
>
> and yes, the mouse works, and worked fine in rh8, rh9, fc1 :)
>
> weird...
>
> kh

If you have the /dev/input/mice information included in the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which is needed for ps2 mice using the 2.6
kernels that are compiled for Fedora, you might have to add this to your
grub.conf file. I guess it reorders the process orders loaded during the
kernel initializing. This helps synaptic touchpads, maybe it will help
w/ your troubles with these ps2 mice.

add psmouse.proto=imps to your grub.conf file. Note the below example.
I'm running a test installation, so don't copy in whole. This may or may
not resolve your problem.

Jim

example:
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.541)
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.541 ro root=LABEL=/  psmouse.proto=imps
         initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.541.img

--
Free Software: the Software by the People, of the People and for the People.
Develop! Share! Enhance! and Enjoy!

    -- Andy Tai