NTP syncing

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Mon Sep 20 17:47:14 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Your time would be closer to real time if you ran ntpdate before
> starting up ntpd though. If you create/edit the file
> /etc/ntp/step-tickers and have it contain the following lines:

Actually, the ntp people are trying to deprecate ntpdate.  They
have an option to ntpd that essentially tells it to do the
sort of equivalent of ntpdate when it starts...(I forget -g, or
-q, or something).  In any case I believe that the Fedora
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd does the "right thing" and uses the
"step tickers" file if it exists and is non-null to call ntpdate
and starts ntpd; or if you make that file null, I think it starts
ntpd in the "do an initial jump" mode.  I would need to investigate
further to absolutely confirm this though.  (Redhat 7.3 ran that
way, but they did a bunch of changes to the ntpd script for Fedora.)

John