/ space usage

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Sep 20 19:06:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 19:59, Mark Haney wrote:
> My question is, where did the other 12GB or so space go?  My logs files
> are a few MB, same with yum cache.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I
> uninstalled KDE and KOffice but that only freed up about 300MB space.
> What's the deal here?  I never had this problem before on the 20GB
> partition, so why is this an issue now?

I would guess that some logging has gone berserk and filled up /var.

Anyway, try running "du -ks *" in the root directory and you'll get back
the usage (in kilobytes) of each of the top level files/directories.
Choose the one that's the problem and do "du -ks" in that directory etc.
until you find the problem.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>