Ownership problem with NFS exported /home

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Tue Sep 21 04:55:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:15, Robert Locke wrote:

> I am not sure why the fsid option would be affecting you that way....
> Your client really should be able to connect whether you use fsid or
> not...  Do you have other things in the exports file?  That seems to be
> what fsid is more for to differentiate between exports and to address
> what I thought were some bugs where the fsid changes on us creating
> inode mismatches....  Try to change your exports to be only this item
> and see if it impacts....

All I'm actually exporting is 1 user's home directory (just playing with
the idea atm). Despite this, in my case the fsid option is proving
mandatory -- if I remove it, restart the nfs services and run exportfs
-r, I get a 'permission denied' if I try to mount the exported directory
on the client side.

> Of course, perhaps we are looking at this from the wrong side.  What are
> you using to mount from the client (options, etc)???

I'm automounting on the client side. But I've also tried turning off
autofs and just using mount -t nfs4 <export path> <mountpoint>. Same
deals on both the necessity of the fsid option, and the different
uid/gid between client and server.

> Only if we are doing some sort of "mapping...", but that is usually
> forced onto "anonymous" connections - hence your earlier anonuid and
> anongid uses....

As far as I understand, as by default root_squash is in operation, the
anon user/group should only come into effect for root, which isn't what
I'm doing here.

> I really think your requirement of the fsid option is indicative of some
> other fundamental problem.  Have you changed anything in /etc/sysconfig
> related to nfs or added anything to /etc/sysctl.conf?

Nothing (actually I don't know what sysctl.conf is). I'm beginning to
think I'm biting off more than I can chew with my current level of linux
knowledge. I might go back to a simpler configuration.