Authentication default

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Sep 21 09:39:42 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:
> I am a newbie.. so I don't know "what I want to use" - I don't need any
> kind of security at all. I just want to be able to logon to other
> accounts... not only root..
> When I installed the PC I don't recall any Q regarding the
> authentication - and if there was - I probably said "don't care" - ad it
> worked fine until I made the mistake and touched that tab (while trying
> to solve other problem)

OK, in authconfig, leave all of the "user information" fields blank and select
"Use MD5 passwords" and "Use shadow passwords" (and nothing else) for
authentication.

Make sure that the accounts you are trying to log in to have entries in
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

What is the symptom you get when trying to log in as other accounts? Does it
say "bad password" or something similar, or does it appear to log in and then
log out again immediately?

> I even would love to know how to make the PC boot automatically into an
> account I set (not root) without asking me for user name and password..

Let's make sure that the other account works first.

Paul.