Transitioning to Firefox

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Sep 21 15:59:02 UTC 2004

For a very long time now I've used Galeon as my browser because its
lightweight and integrated well into GNOME (I would use Epiphany, which
is even more so, if it weren't for its bookmarking system), and used
Mozilla when I'm developing (for the DOM Inspector, Venkman debugger,
and the Netscape DevEdge sidebar, all of which are invaluable tools for
a web developer like myself). However, with Firefox approaching 1.0 I
think I'll move over to using it for everything: the Dom Inspector,
Venkman debugger, DevEdge sidebar, and the Web Developer plugin are
available for it, and it is also fast and lightweight and has some
general browsing features that neither Galeon or Epiphany have, like
bookmarking RSS feeds. Also Garrett LeSage has released an Industrial
theme for Firefox:

http://linuxart.com/log/archives/2004/09/20/industrial-for-firefox/

and Ximian/Novell Industrial is the theme I use in GNOME, so Firefox
should integrate nicely with my desktop.

But, I have God-only-knows how many bits of personal data such as
passwords and cookies stored in Galeon. I'm fully expecting Firefox to
seemlessly pull in any personal data and bookmarks from Mozilla, and
there should be no problem importing my Galeon bookmarks. But how can I
import my personal data such as passwords and cookies into Firefox from
Galeon? As they are both Mozilla based it should be possible, but does
anyone know how exactly?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com