A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Tue Sep 21 19:06:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 21:10, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
> Core legally. To use software that is partly my own (I am a copyright
> co-holder for Mozilla, FriBidi, GNOME translations (sometimes under the
> name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
> in Iran":
>
> http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/2.91/x86_64/os/eula.txt
>
> But the problem is that I live there, and have been living there while
> working on all those pieces of software
>
> Is Fedora allowed to do that, even when I have copylefted parts of the
> software under GPL and LGPL? Won't that be adding more restrictions, and
> against the explicit text in the licenses that says "You may not impose
> any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights
> granted herein"? Also, isn't the same EULA claim that the whole
> collective work is under GPL? If yes, how can it add those restrictions?

IANAL, but I don't think GPL is applicalble to your case. GPL requires
no additional restrictions on distributed software, but since RedHat
does not "distribute" software to you GPL this requirement does not
apply.

> I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
> off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...

This situation is quite absurd, but RedHat has to play by the rules -
even if this requires to write completely unenforceable EULA. The only
recommendation I could give is to use any European distro.

> Roozbeh Pournader

Pavel.