Time difference between Win98 and Fedora

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Sep 21 23:17:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 06:30, Hairysocks wrote:
> > I have a dual-boot PC and notice that I can't get the time
> > correct on both Win98 and Fedora. When the Win98 time is correct
> > then the time on Fedora is one hour ahead.
> >
> > I'm sure its got something to do with British Summer Time / GMT,
> > and that we are currently in BST, but I can't see how to get it
> > correct.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Rob
> >

> IMHO, you can suffer with the difference, or do not use DST.
>
> Windows resets system time with the daylight savings time changes (twice
> a year).  Linux leaves system time alone and makes the change in
> software to display DST.  When you do dual boot in an environment where
> DST is used you will see this discrepancy.
>
> I know of no way to make the two systems play nice together as relates
> to time.

Here's what I do:  I mostly use Linux, so I don't really care if the
Windows side is a bit whacked.  I set the hardware clock to UTC.  That
way, Linux always knows how to do the right thing.  I set the time zone in
Windows to GMT, and I turn off the "update for daylight time" setting.
Inexplicably, that has to be done for *each* user in Windows.  So the
Windows side thinks its GMT/no daylight (which is the same as UTC) all the
time and the Linux side is right all the time.  When in Windows, I get
local time by looking at my watch.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences