[OT] - New virus?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Sep 22 08:26:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 02:39, Michael wrote:

> I don't understand the flame for this either. I find windows viruses very
> serious. This would only be a non relivent questions if Windows users were
> not allowed on our internet. The fact is, the crappy little world of MS
> Viruses spawn attacks on the rest of us all the time. What MS leaves open
> to be exploited effects the traffic and services we all depend on daily.
> So do not pretend questions like this are 'irrelivent' simply because you
> use Linux. I've seen my fair share of reasons why you are wrong if you
> think so.  Viruses are always relivent information.
>
> Anways, I have not noticed anything on our networks Mark.

    Precisely; and as soon as you realize (as I did) that Windows _is_
the virus, you'll be in the same boat with me.  And it's not like
Windows deployment is growing, and Linux is shrinking.

    Other than some annoyances about file formats for Office, and an
occasional machine that runs some oddball program only available in
Windows AND can't run in VMWare (very rare, now) everything can be done
in Linux.  In fact, about the only thing that doesn't run
reliably/quickly/etc in Linux are premium games, and who runs them at
work?

    And as to the file formats, it's the same thing that happens when
some vendor/customer gets a new version of Office and forces everyone
else internally to upgrade, too.  So pay ME $12,000 and we'll just SAY
we upgraded all the internal copies of Office.  :>

    The people that power Fedora are fantastic. This whole process is
wonderful.  And to say that we "must" integrate Windows into it is kinda
like going to a car-club and asking them for ideas on better horse-food.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller