HP 5200c Scanner

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 16:26:59 UTC 2004

Steve & Julie Croteau wrote:
> I'm fairly new to all of this so pardon my question but exactly how do I
> go about symbolically linking those files/devices?  Or what would you
> recommend that I read that would explain it for a newbie?  Thanks in
> advance!!

This looks fairly good:
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_03.html#sect_03_03_05

You might want to read the entire document.

But to summarise,

ln -s /proc/bus/usb/00n/00m /dev/scanner

where you get n and m from lsusb.

One other point, to help us:

This is a busy mailing list, and we can't remember all the conversations
that go on at once. It's helpful if you (and your mail program) can keep
threading working: if you reply to a message, then most mail programs
will put the appropriate "magic" in the e-mail headers.

Many e-mail programs will then display the e-mails together, so we can

But it's also helpful if you quote a little bit of context right in the
e-mail, like I've done above. That way, when you refer to a point that's
been made earlier, we can see exactly what that point was.

In this case, I remember e-mailing you before, so I knew what your
problem was. I doubt if anyone else did, making your message rather
ambiguous.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | see a major company concentrating on vital issues.