FC2 kernel panic at boot of cd

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Wed Sep 22 21:33:09 UTC 2004

There is a widely experienced problem with the CDRom
driver in Fedora Core 2 and certain models of CDRom.
You can search Bugzilla for that problem and determine
whether the actual error messages accompanying your
panic are the same as those of the bug.  Unfortunately,
no one has found a solution last time I looked except
to replace the CDRom drive with a newer model.  The
problem was present up to Fedora Core 3 test 1.  I have
not tested Fedora Core 3 test 2 as of yet on one of
the problem machines.  Note that Fedora Core 1 will
install successfully on the problem machines here.