X.org from FC3/Test2 on FC2 system?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 22 23:35:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 06:08:51PM -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:

> How foolish would it be to installed the X.org packages from FC3/Test2 on
> my FC2 system?
>
> (My interest in the current version of X.org stems from the fact that the
> FC2 packages (v6.7.x) do not support 3D on my video controller.  Support
> for 3D on this hardware is one of the new features of the FC3/T2 (v6.8.x)
> packages.
>
> Any thoughts?

The only way to know is to try it (or a lot of work).
Since booting to runlevel 3 is a safety net for x problems
you might just try it.

With good notes you will know which packages to
replace if you have a problem.

It might be safer to pickup the src versions
and build them locally.

The big risk is bug fixes.  You will no longer
be on a good track to stay current with bug fixes.

It is not uncommon for a release to tag many packages
as requiring other packages from that release and
thus limit interoperability bugs.   You might find
that you need this lib that is needed by this old package
that demands you upgrade another that would like
yet another change....

Doing this will put you on the fast track for FC3....
If you have two machines try it on the 'spare'.

But one warning... the folks on test and the folks
here on released will not really want to help you.
You will be on your own very quickly.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.