NTP syncing

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Sep 23 04:00:33 UTC 2004

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2004 8:31 PM -0400 Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> Actually, there's a 3rd question: WTF if the secondary dns doing when
> it attempts to contact my firewall box on a high port, 32,711 or such
> as I posted last night?  I sent a nastygram to both postmaster and
> abuse at the secondary dns's name, specifically requesting a reply,
> but in 18 hours none has been forthcoming.  Should I just keep
> beating on them till they get tired of me and disconnect me, or what?

What was the source port? If it's UDP 53, then that's a reply to one of
your queries. Sometimes the connection tracking loses the outbound entry so
the reply looks like an orphan. Make sure your evidence is very good before
accusing someone of shenanigans. Maybe you could post a couple firewall log
entries showing what you're seeing? (I haven't seen your other post, maybe
you already did that.)