Questions about hdparm

Don Smith smith189 at gta.igs.net
Thu Sep 23 17:09:18 UTC 2004

Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> hdparm doesn't seem to report, for SCSI drives, the asme stuff it does
> for IDE drives.  I'm specifically looking to see if DMA transfers are
> on or off.  I presume since I don't see a "using_dma" attribute that
> it doesn't apply to SCSI???
>
> IDE:
>
> /sbin/hdparm -vt /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  geometry     = 65535/16/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   96 MB in  3.00 seconds =  31.97 MB/sec
>

> SCSI:
>
> /sbin/hdparm -vt /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  geometry     = 4420/255/63, sectors = 71020544, start = 0
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.43 seconds = 44.76 MB/sec
>

> Regards
>
> Doug p

 From the man pages:

DESCRIPTION
       hdparm  provides  a  command line interface to various hard disk
ioctls
       supported by the stock Linux ATA/IDE  device  driver
subsystem.   Some
       options  may  work  correctly  only  with the latest kernels.
For best
       results, compile hdparm with the include files from the  latest
kernel
       source code.

It is only for ATA/IDE drives.