3ware 9000 Series SATA Raid and Fedora Core 2 ?

Erwin Cloostermans erwin.cloostermans at pandora.be
Thu Sep 23 19:06:14 UTC 2004

I recently installed FC2 on a new system containing the following hardware:
Intel Pentium4
Supermicro P4SCi mainboard
3ware S9500-8 raid controller
4x WD sata drives 250GB connected to raid controller
1x WD sata drive connected to maind board (boot disk)

I'm a Linux dummie and can't get my raid controllor installed. Is
there anybody who wants to help me ?

Alexander already told me that the driver for red hat 9.0 on the cdrom that
came with my controller isn't compatible with FC2.
He also told me that an update to the most recent kernel of FC2 should work
because it has the needed kernel module.

After some manipulations in the yum config file i was able to update to
kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
But i stil see no raid controller.

When I choose "hardware browser" from the system tools menu and click on
RAID devices in the list on the left i get the following info:
    Selected Device: 3wara ATA-RAID
    Device information:
        Manufacturer: 3ware Inc.
        Driver: 3w-xxxx
I expected 3w-9xxx because the manual of the controller says 3w-xxxx is for
series 7000/8000

when I type fdisk -l in an attempt to see a device to partition all i get
are the 3 partitions on my boot disk attached to the main board: /dev/sda1
/dev/sda2 /dev/sda3

when I type cat /proc/scsi/3w-9xxx/0 which according to the manual of the
controller should give the current version of the driver i get : No such
file or directory
when i go to the /proc/scsi directory and type ls -l there is only one file
called sg

Is there anybody who can help me out ???

Erwin