Recording audio (capturing video with streamer)

brian wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 23 22:13:43 UTC 2004

I'm trying to get my TV Tuner card working and the video part is working
surprisingly well.  The audio, however, isn't.

I'm stumped with how to set up streamer so it'll grab the audio
portion.  I've got the patch cable connecting the tv card to the sound
card and using tvtime works fine.  The audio is adjustable using the
Line volume settings in alsamixer.  When I record, I hear it through the
speakers, but it isn't captured in the file.  In addition, I get an oss
error message:

$ streamer -p 4 -q -t 00:02 -r 24  -q -o test.avi -j 90 -f jpeg -F
stereo
oss: read: Input/output error

It also takes substantially longer than 2s to record the video, so I
suspect the audio is hanging it.

In fact, doing "cat /dev/dsp" (or for that matter, using /dev/audio)
hangs a bit and gives the same basic error as above.

Obviously I don't have the mixer settings correct (or maybe OSS
emulation isn't right). I'm really stumped and I've not been able to
find reasonable documentation on ALSA.

The sound card in hwconf looks like this:
class: AUDIO
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: snd-via82xx
desc: "VIA Technologies|VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller"
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: 3059
subVendorId: 1462
subDeviceId: 0080