Linux on old laptop

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Sep 24 23:47:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 16:15, Billy Tallis wrote:
> I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX laptop with 16MB of ram, a Pentium
> MMX 133 Mhz processor, and a 1.4GB hard drive.
> First, is it feasible to run linux on this machine?

Depends on what you run and how fast you expect things to be.

I have run Linux on a Toshiba 440CD.

You will want more memory.

> Second, how much in the way of FC can I use? I cannot use anaconda, because it
> does not let you continue with only 16MB. I would, however, like to use rpm,
> especially fedora SRPMs that I can compile on my faster desktop with FC2.
>
> It seems to be an uphill battle, as knoppix is hard to get working and doesn't
> seem to realize that the screen is only 800x600.

It is also a pain because that chipset needs to be overclocked to work
correctly.  (The Windows driver also overclocks it.)

--
'This message has not been made with the consent or cooperation of
the Federal Board of Regulations (F.B.R.) or the Central Enquires