Question on erasing Gnome desktop

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 04:18:56 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

FC2

I'm going to test Drupal (http://www.drupal.org/) on
this box which has a limited space on HD

# df -h
/dev/hdg2             5.6G  3.5G  1.9G  65% /
/dev/hdg1             105M  7.6M   92M   8% /boot
none                  157M     0  157M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdg5             3.2G  353M  2.7G  12% /home

Drupal requests Apache, PHP and MySQL running .  To
free HD space for them I'm prepared to erase GNOME
desktop which I only visit occasionally, most times
using KDE.

# rpm -qa | grep gnome
libgnomecanvas-2.6.0-1
libgnomeprintui22-2.6.0-1
gnome-icon-theme-1.2.0-1
gnomemeeting-1.0.2-2
gnome-vfs-extras-0.2.0-8.1
gnome-vfs2-2.6.0-8
gnome-python2-bonobo-2.0.0-4.1
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.6.1p2-34
gnome-desktop-2.6.0.1-1
up2date-gnome-4.3.19-1
libgnomeui-2.6.0-3
gnome-spell-1.0.5-4.1
gnome-panel-2.6.0-9
gnome-themes-2.6.0-2
gnome-media-2.6.0-1
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-2.0.0-4.1
gnome-python2-2.0.0-4.1
libgnomecups-0.1.6-7
gnome-pilot-2.0.10-6.1
libgnomeprint22-2.6.0-1
gnome-vfs2-smb-2.6.0-8
libgail-gnome-1.0.2-3.1
gnome-utils-2.6.0-2
libgnome-2.6.0-3
gnome-mime-data-2.4.1-4
gnome-keyring-0.2.0-1
gnome-user-docs-2.6.0.1-2
gnome-mag-0.10.10-2
gnome-system-monitor-2.6.0-3
gnome-session-2.6.0-4
gnome-python2-canvas-2.0.0-4.1
gnome-audio-1.4.0-7
gnome-terminal-2.6.0-2
gnome-vfs-1.0.5-18
gnome-applets-2.6.2.1-1

I have following questions;

1) On/after erasing all GNOME packages will it cause
breakage to other packages
2) Can I retain gnomemeeting-1.0.2-2?  Can it work
without GNOME desktop?
3) What other packages can I strip to free more HD
space
4) Which of following commands will be more
appropriate on erasing GNOME packages

# rpm -e gnome*

OR

# yum remove gnome*
(yum is running on this box for update/install
packages)

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
satimis