FC1, USB mouse, but not through USB Hub

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 09:48:40 UTC 2004

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> (With mouse plugged into the pc) I unplugged the hub and reconnected,
> followed by doing the same for the joystick and printer. Made no
> difference to the lsusb output.
>
> /var/log/message entried found afterwards:
>
> Sep 24 17:15:37 garyh kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-3, assigned
> address 4
> Sep 24 17:15:37 garyh kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
> address=4 (error=-71)
> Sep 24 17:15:38 garyh kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-3, assigned
> address 5
> Sep 24 17:15:38 garyh kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
> address=5 (error=-71)

That makes it look like a kernel issue. Could you please put it in
the Fedora bugzilla? (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/)

Could you try getting the kernel sources from kernel.org and compiling a
"vanilla" kernel? If the problem persists, put it in the kernel bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.kernel.org/), and report it to the Linux Kernel Mailing
List.

If the vanilla kernel works, you've got a perfectly good workaround for
your problem, and you've got something interesting for the Fedora kernel
crew to look at: please mention that the vanilla kernel works in your
Fedora bugzilla report.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | The other mice secretly thought that Roger's poncho
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | made him look like a cheap lampshade, but even they