Knowing the rc.d system

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 25 12:34:14 UTC 2004

--On Friday, September 24, 2004 3:18 PM -0700 Steve Magee
<smagee at arb.ca.gov> wrote:

> Can someone point me to a site that will explain when the K or S links
> are executed?  What relation the /var/lock/subsys/filename have when
> the K or S links are run?  Who manages the /var/lock/subsys/filename
> directory; e.g. /etc/init.d/filename or S99killall?

Start with "man telinit". (telinit is the command you use to change
runlevels, and is hard-linked to init.) Then inspect /etc/inittab. Look at
the script /etc/rc.d/rc, which invokes the K and S scripts. Look at
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, which is a library of common functions
available to the initscripts. Use chkconfig or ntsysv to create/destroy the
symlinks in the rc.d subdirectories, based on a special shell comment in
the script's header.